BURIED DIAMOND

process

STRAWBERRY SET - SORRENTO BUCKET HAT & NEW LOOK 6511 PATTERN REVIEW

DIY, fashion, life, process, sewing, styleMartha PorterComment
strawberry baby.jpg

Can you believe this fabric!? Last summer, I was visiting Lizzy in Rhode Island, and she took me estate sale-ing. I always make a beeline to the sewing & craft supplies; she goes for the clothing & accessories. I pulled so many cuts of fabric, about 20 yards total on this trip. Wedged between folded home dec fabrics and itchy poly knits, was this strawberry magic. It was a remnant, a scrap. I could see where the previous owner had cut out a dress, and carefully preserved every last scrap, because she knew what’s up.

IMG_2590.JPG

The fabric was a bit crispy, but I washed & dried it, and it softened right up. The colors are truly neon; the weave is a soft but firm basketweave; yes, this is what dreams are made of.

strawberry straight on.jpg

Because there was very little to work with, I went with a tried & tested pattern with low yardage requirements: New Look 6511. For this version, I cut my usual 12, and graded out past 14 at the side seams for a swingy, boxy cut. As always with this pattern, I lowered the front neckline 1”, the armscye 1/2”, and lengthened it 2”. I don’t use the facings, but bias binding instead. I also used some gingham bias binding I made for another project to Hong Kong finish some of the seams.

strawberry detail.jpg

It didn’t take long to sew the top, and then I was faced with my scraps! If the previous fabric owner had thrown hers away, I wouldn’t have ever seen this gorgeous print. So it only felt right to use every last bit. Time to make a hat!

strawberry bucket.jpg

This is the Sorrento Bucket Hat from Elbe Textiles. It is a free pattern! You can find it here. I have made a few (three) hats recently, and this is my favorite pattern: takes very little fabric, few pieces, fits as expected, easy to sew, and fully reversible. I made size Small for my 22” head and it’s a perfect fit. I followed the pattern exactly but added some firm interfacing to the brim (both main and lining fabric brims).

strawberry set purple.jpg

I think both pieces came out really cute! I’ve already worn the top, but haven’t had occasion for the hat yet. I did have a few scraps leftover, and of course I saved them. They might find their way into something pieced & quilted, or maybe they’ll be pockets…. Here’s what’s left. I’ll make sure to hang on to them until their moment comes. <3

strawberry scraps.jpg